Modern Plywood Wardrobe DIY
Durable, robust, repairable, reusable, highly hygienic wood is known for its long life even in unsuitable spaces due to its structure. Especially Birch Plywood, which is not affected by moisture and humidity, would be a great choice for making a wooden-looking wardrobe. Plywood is not affected by the change in temperature of the environment, such as wood. It is manufactured to withstand such environments.
Plywood is widely used in the furniture industry and is used in the manufacture of structural and decorative parts. Plywood boards are distinguished by their high strength and elasticity, which allows them to be used in various furniture designs and as a result still have a small weight.
Making furniture made of plywood does not require significant training. Some furniture parts can be made with a saw, a router, and a drill, cutting more complex parts on a CNC woodworking machine. Bent parts will be difficult to manufacture.
Wooden furniture has always been popular as it deserves. It is durable, strong, and can last more than 100 years without losing its quality. The main thing is that wooden plywood furniture looks nice and prestigious. These factors are often encouraging in the decision to purchase this furniture. But it is not necessary to buy it, because it is not as difficult as it seems to do it yourself. This article will discuss the necessary information and the process of making a plywood wardrobe DIY with his own hands.
The most popular material is pine plywood for the wardrobe. Making furniture with our own hands has important advantages;
- high-quality plywood materials are individually selected and cheaper than ordered from the factory;
- Since wood is easily processed, making a wardrobe of wood is not difficult to do with your own hands;
- It is very easy to obtain the desired result with the necessary tools;
- making furniture can also bring moral pleasure and become a creative hobby because it is fun to achieve your goal on your own.
- Plywood or sheet plates are required for the manufacture of such a cabinet.
- With the appropriate technique, the self-made interior can be even better than factory furniture.
- Holes are drilled under the cabinet to mount the adjustable feet.
How to decide on wardrobe design and construction?
The model of the wardrobe should be selected depending on its location and the required specifications (capacity, width, etc.), and design and construction depend on the overall style of the room and the purpose of the cabinet (storage of clothes, plates, books or other things).
- For small rooms, sliding door cupboards are the most suitable, made to a certain size of the room, and can be installed in even the narrowest spaces, such as the corridor. The necessary equipment can be purchased from the hardware store and the materials are now very easy to find.
- A large and spacious wardrobe is ideal for the bedroom, where many shelves, drawers, and a few hangers can be used. Wardrobes; shelves, cabinets with the desired number of doors, sliding structures can be equipped with. We should not forget to consider the general design of the space that will be the basis for choosing the design of the cabin.
- Great demand in the kitchen is furniture made of plywood. The kitchen set consists of several drawers and small cupboards with doors. Making kitchen cabinets will require a lot of material and effort, but the result meets expectations.
- In the children’s room, the furniture will shine and look great in different colors. The furniture can be decorated with mirrors, patterns, and ornaments. Important and additional shelves for toys can be installed in cabinets. You should also consider the child’s wishes. The wardrobe should be designed specifically for him.
- A small cupboard with several shelves is suitable for the bathroom. An additional mirror can be placed in this cabinet. Building such a construction will not be difficult for those who at least know the basics of chopping skills.
Once the cabinet model is selected, it is necessary to transfer the plan to the paper to describe it in the form of a drawing. First, the frame of the future product is designed, the dimensions of the walls, doors, and the base of the cabinet are shown. The length and width must then be indicated on the shelves and the internal component of the product.
- chipboard, solid boards (optional);
- electric or hand saw;
- measuring the inclination angle;
- grinding machine;
- wooden dowels;
- metal corners;
- paint (if necessary);
- Roulette, tool, ruler, etc.
- varnish (if necessary);
- Create a drawing
A detailed view of the cabinet is created according to the size of the future design and the layout of the circle.
- Create a frame.
Plywood, chipboard, or solid boards intended for the structural frames are placed by the drawing and connected with nails and glue. The back of the cabinet is covered with thin (up to 1 cm) plywood and is also attached with nails and glue.
- Door installation
If a wardrobe is installed, the doors are connected to the chassis using hinges or special equipment.
- Install the shelves.
The shelf fasteners are mounted to the cabinet wall at a certain height. The shelves are then secured to them by glue or nail, but some prefer not to use additional fastening means.
- Polishing and painting
If you use varnish-free and unpainted sheets, the cabinet needs to be polished after sanding the surfaces.
- Installation of door handles.
The arms are individually selected for the cab style and mounted at the end of the assembly.
Buying new furniture is not suitable for everyone and you can complete your wardrobe if you have the right skills.
If you decide to build a wooden cabinet with your own hands, you should pay attention to the presence of gaps.
Returning to the cabinet assembly, we should not forget not only the appearance of the case but also the interior filling of the product. Shelves and other elements must be secured with screws or glue.
If you plan to install a mirror, it must be secured in advance with construction tape. The same applies to other additional elements of the cabinet.
How to make a plywood cabinet?
First, you need to choose a place for the cabin and decide the size of the future cabinet according to your existing space and needs. Here are the DIY built-in wardrobe plans.
According to the drawing, we cut plywood boards with two sidewalls of a circular saw measuring 200 cm x 40 cm, which is essentially a frame.
The second step is to cut the racks. According to the project, the dimensions of the shelves will be 60 x 40 cm. The height of the shelves is determined by what you plan to store in the cupboard: whether with a book or folded clothes. According to the drawing, the height of the shelves will be 40 cm, so we need to prepare 6 plywood blanks, two of which will go under and under the cabinet frame.
It should be noted that the shelf length cannot be exactly 60 cm, and the plywood minus two thicknesses will be shorter with the depth of the grooves. In our case, the thickness of plywood is 16 mm, and the grooves – 5 mm. Accordingly, the estimated length of racks will be 578 mm or 57.8 cm, we will cut these racks.
The next step in assembling a plywood cabinet with your own hand is to mark and make the channels on which the shelves will rest. This is done to keep the outer surface of the cabinet smooth and beautiful to make small holes.
Warning! If you use plywood with a thickness of less than 16 mm, you must only secure the metal corners without inserting the shelves into the grooves.
The dimensions of the grooves should correspond to the thickness of the plywood, the groove is made for the entire width of the cabinet. To make the marking of the grooves as accurate as possible, it is best to attach the two sides and mark them together.
Now the whole frame is ready, it’s time to put it together. First, fix the sidewall with the upper and lower bases.
Warning! It is best to install furniture bolts so that you can easily remove the cabinet later, for example for painting. Use the final nails only if you want to make sure that you never want to remove the cabinet (for example, when moving it).
The next step in making a plywood cabinet with your own hand is to prepare the rear wall of the cabinet from the chipboard and fix it with screws or finishing nails. The dimensions of the rear wall should be 60 to 200 cm.
And finally, the last step in the installation of the cabinet is to paint the plywood with your own hands.
If furniture bolts are used in the assembly process, we put decorative covers on the covers when the paint dries. This will give the cabinet more aesthetics.
Matho Gbr is one of the best plywood suppliers in the world. You can contact us for your plywood applications. I hope, this article will be good for your future DIY plywood wardrobe.