How to build DIY kitchen cabinets?
Anyone can enjoy the look and feel of fine wooden furniture. However, with the increasing prices of quality wooden furniture, many customers create their own custom parts, such as cabinets, using the DIY technique.
As Plywood Supplier we are presenting the building of DIY kitchen cabinets. Read on to learn the right steps, initial planning, tools, and other information to build a quality cabinet.
In the planning section, you will need to prepare a list of needs. To do so, review the checklist thoroughly before proceeding with this project and collect all the equipment. Before you begin, you should find someone who can help you with the project or act as your assistant. This person will need to help you cut some wood because of the size of the timber involved in this project.
Then you have to decide on the choice of wood materials. Before you buy your wood and choose a finish for your cabinet, you should ask simple questions about how to use it and plan to exhibit it at home. Some of these questions include questions similar to the following: Where will the cabin be? What are the dimensions of the cabin? Will it be suitable for the area I will use?
Choosing Wood Type and Segment
Only one side will be visible because you can use plywood with one side of the EU furniture grade veneer (EU plywood). Oak Plywood with a finished veneer on both sides, ie AA plywood, can also be used for a top-quality appearance. Solid oak surface frames will be used to cover plywood if necessary.
Similar to putting a pattern on a piece of fabric, you can cut several different pieces of wood of the same thickness, such as fireplace construction, from a single piece. It is a good idea to be careful to collect the total number of boards and to make sure you group the short pieces into long pieces to minimize waste.
- Finished sink
- The kitchen installation will be done here.
2. First, we make the bottom of the kitchen cabinet. So we’re making kitchen cabinets with drawers. The necessary steps for this are as follows;
Or you can use MDF material when making a kitchen cabinet. MDF is a very durable and high-quality material. If you do not prefer a kitchen cabinet with plywood, MDF will also be a highly profitable investment for you. As Bayou, we provide you with the highest quality fireproof MDF.
What You Should Consider When Making Kitchen Cabinet?
When making a kitchen cupboard, the first thing you need to decide is which material will be used in the construction of your cabinets and kitchen counter. Different materials can be used in the main body and door parts of the cabinets. The best quality material that can be used in the body is MDF material.
It is obtained by mixing and pressing MDF wood fibers with hot curing synthetic resin adhesives. It is non-flammable and waterproof by impregnating melamine resin and glue with technological impregnation machines on MDF plates.
The material obtained by coating with the decorating paper is called MDF Lam. Chipboard is a simple material obtained by pressing simple pieces of wood with synthetic resins. Chipboard material is often used in kitchen bodies because it is more economical.
If you say which of these two materials is better, if you will use your cabinets without any water contact, there is no difference between them in terms of appearance. Because both can be covered with the same material and make them look better aesthetically. However, it is better to use MDF which is more resistant to water in an area that is constantly in contact with water, such as a kitchen. If you don’t recognize these two materials and ask them how to distinguish them, let’s explain.
The woody part visible on the coated surfaces of the MDF material is smoother. The parts that make up the plate are sawdust dust and therefore have a smoother appearance. The chipboard is made of coarser wood pieces and these pieces are visible and the surface is rougher. Chipboard material is less resistant to impacts. MDF is more durable. Chipboard material is lighter than MDF and heavier. Chipboard material is more economical in terms of price.
- Kitchen cabinet prices are important costs in the house. For this reason, do not forget that choosing a kitchen cabinet is an expensive choice to go back to.
- Instead of a cheap kitchen cabinet, you should aim for the best quality kitchen cabinet that your budget allows.
- You must first make a list of the electrical items you want to have in the kitchen (very important). Refrigerator, dishwasher, washing machine, oven, microwave, TV, Food processor, home phone.
- You should determine which of the items on your list will be placed in the kitchen cabinet as we call it built-in.
- When designing the kitchen cabinet, you should not forget to place a small television in the cabinet. Having a TV in the kitchen can make cooking time fun.
- When designing the kitchen cabinet, you should also consider the opening direction of the refrigerator door. Otherwise, you will have to change the opening direction of the refrigerator door.
- The closing speed of drawers and doors is very important. Even when you close it quickly, you must select the hinges (very important), which allow the braking system to close slowly. Such hinges extend the life of the cabinet.
- The visual side of the kitchen cabinet is the doors. So only the covers are visible from the outside. Nobody from the outside sees inside. So the caps are the only source that will give visuality. The most preferred covers are Acrylic covers.
- No matter how you make the covers, the bodies will be chipboard or MDFlam.
The main material of MDF is hard and softwood. It is a wood-based material obtained by pressing wood fibers with heat-curing synthetic resin adhesives. MDF Lam is obtained by coating melamine resin and glue on MDF sheet by using technological impregnation machines and coating of fireproof and waterproof decor paper. In other words, it is the colored form of one or two surfaces.
What we understand from the usefulness of a kitchen is that everything is easily accessible and everything is at hand. In our opinion, the use of drawers instead of the normal door modules in the lower cabinet modules increases the functionality of the kitchen cabinet. Imagine how many times a housewife buys an item of the disposition from the kitchen cabinets under the counter during the day. Making a complete drawer cabinet instead of under-counter cabinets makes the kitchen cabinet very useful.
Kitchen Cabinet Cover/Door and Body Relation
We have been trying to make the body color and cover color the same color in kitchen cabinets for years. In the 90s and before, furniture doors and cabinet bodies were made of the same material. Polished or lacquer painted would be preferred to the customer’s request so that the body color and the lid color could be the same. However, after the 2000s, new materials started to be produced depending on the developments in technology, and different cover systems were used in furniture, especially in bathroom cabinets and kitchen cabinets. Cover types used in the furniture market now;
- Acrylic Cover,
- Membrane Cover,
- Laminate Cover,
- Lacquered Cover,
- Gloss Coated Cover.
You can contact us for more information.